Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My son's middle name is Mandela

Yesterday was Nelson Mandela's 93rd birthday. President Mandela is one of my heroes, a man of incredible tenacity, dignity and compassion. Someone who transcended their situation while incarcerated for 27 years. A man who was able to lead South Africa from Apartheid to a multiracial society. A man who brought reconciliation and the promise of hope to an emerging democracy.

His namesake, my son, is 14 1/2 years old. He has had his own personal battles with mental health and learning differences. When I look deep into my son's eyes, I see incredible tenacity. He has had to do a lot of emotional growing over the last 2 yrs, changing his approach to anger and relationships. As the result of my son's work, he now has a positive relationship with me. He has been able to connect with his father and half siblings. Now he is learning the stories of his father's childhood in Northern Ethiopia and learning more about his culture.

Another incredible part of a journey of the impossible becoming possible.

1 comment:

Joe Hage said...

Thank you for sharing this, Dr. Mimi.